Sunday, June 28, 2009

12 years!

So, I awoke this morning thinking it was just another Sunday. Then Darcy rolls over and says, "Happy anniversary!" Ooops! I totally spaced it! I guess after 12 years, it becomes old hat.

Actually, I did remember my anniversary was coming up, but I knew we would be busy at church today, so put my plans on hold. Our church (Christ's Place) just wrapped up a huge event called the Summer Bash. Darcy set up the stage this morning and afternoon, then ran the sound all evening. (Luckily I had help wrangling my kids, though Emma did wander off at one point causing a mini Amber Alert to be issued.)

We got married when we were 19. (That seems so young now! I can't believe our parents supported us.) He had just graduated from tech school, I had just finished my freshman year at UNL. We lived in Lincoln while he worked me through school. I finished in 4 years (thanks to summer classes) and we decided to stay in Lincoln. We enjoyed our kid free time and I honestly didn't know whether we would have kids. I know that is one of the things you are supposed to get figured out before you marry, but we were young and unsure of many things at the time.

After 8 years, we got pregnant with Emma. It wasn't a total shock...we weren't "trying" but we weren't "preventing" either. Another 2 years and we had Sam and that is how our family came to be. I don't think we will have any more, but we will see what God says about that. I am leaving a crack in the door, just in case I feel the urge to have another one down the line.

The years have seriously flown by! Darcy and I started dating when we were 16! We are both turning 32 this year--that means we have been together half our lives! I seriously can't remember life without him. I am so thankful for my husband. God has blessed me richly with a man of integrity who makes me strive to be a better person. Not that he is perfect, but we definitely bring out each others strengths.

So, Happy Anniversary, Honey! I am praying for many more years of happiness together. Just think, if we both live to 79 we can celebrate 60 years of marriage! What a party it will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment